Saturday, July 9, 2011

Facing my fears

Okay. You caught me. I was procrastinating. On that project we talked about.

I've been afraid of my sewing machine.

A couple months ago I was working on a different project and was having horrible problems with tangling bobbin thread and eventually I broke a needle and just gave up and hadn't touched my machine since.

But I finally got back on the horse, and voila:



(The problem may or may not have been as simple as an improperly threaded needle. I'll never tell.)

I can't tell you how relieved I was when I got my machine working again. I have a big (BIG) project coming up, one with real deadlines, that requires a sewing machine. So, phew.

But first, here's how to accomplish this one. To start, we're going to draw some triangles. Isosceles triangles. I made mine 8 inches tall and 6 inches at the base:


You can just draw a line across your paper 8 inches from the edge. Then mark the line at 6-inch intervals and the edge at 3-inch intervals. Draw diagonals to make triangles--I was able to get 5 triangles from each painting this way. See?


You might have some "help." That's okay.


Then cut out your triangles. Figure 2 or 3 episodes of The Daily Show for this step.



Your helper may abscond with a few. Again, that's okay. You'll have plenty.


Now. Set your sewing machine on a fairly large zigzag stitch and sew your triangles together into a garland. I don't have pictures of this step. Sorry. I was holding my breath the whole time.


Hang 'em up!



Inspired by.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tanya! Such a simple project but it took me such a long time to actually complete it. Ah, that's the way it goes I guess.

    ReplyDelete