Thursday, July 5, 2012

My new motto



Take a man's t-shirt: kind of a dorky cut, but nice thick jersey in good condition--impossible to pass up for $1.99.



Chop.



Cut some more.


Study ikat bag's tutorial for smooth waistbands. Try to pay attention when you sew the elastic together, so that you don't sew a twist into the loop. And read the tutorial carefully, so you don't end up attaching the waistband inside out. In other words, do as I say, not as I did at first, here.



Now, repeat after me: "You can never have too many Breton stripes, you can never have too many Breton stripes."



(And yes, that stripey top really is what I happened to be wearing when I finished the skirt. It's the coincidence that proves the rule, I say.)

Is this the tidiest, most professional looking skirt ever made? No. (I think I need to pin more than LiEr is in the habit of doing, for one thing.) But it's comfortable (read: a little big, if I'm being totally honest) and presentable, and suddenly I'm way less intimidated by the idea of sewing knits. Win!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! I LOVE stripes. One can never have too many.

    And I'm impressed by your sewing knits. I have yet to be brave enough to try this... Fabulous upcycle idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been wearing the skirt non-stop. Not that I am a big expert at this point or anything, but I really recommend the thrifted t-shirt approach to getting started with knits--the stakes are just so wonderfully low.

    ReplyDelete